For many years, my family has made Shepherd’s Pie Jack-o-lanterns for Halloween dinner. It has become a tradition. I saw them on the internet, years ago and thought they were adorable. Once our family became gluten and dairy free … I no longer could purchase the shepherd’s pie spice mix that I had always done. So, I decided to make my own spice mix to avoid gluten. In the last few years, a gluten free spice mix has become available … so you can make my recipe or buy the mix!
You can be organized and cut out the Jack-O-Lantern faces ahead of time .. or forget organization and have your kids/teens help cut out the faces … it’s quick and fun!
This supper is healthy and a fun activity to do – PLUS – they are gluten, dairy and egg free. Check out the video to see how to throw this quick and easy supper together.
Check out the recipe below. If you make it, write a comment or share a photo of your cute jack-o-lanterns!
Jack-O-Lantern Shepherd’s Pie
- 4 to 6 Orange Bell Peppers
- 2 pounds Ground Beef or Turkey
- 2 teaspoons Dried Basil
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 2 teaspoons Powdered Garlic
- 1 teaspoon Pepper
- 1 teaspoon Dried Mustard
- 1 teaspoon Dried Thyme
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce French's Brand is Gluten Free!
- 1 can Tomato Paste (156 ml) plus 3 cans water
- 1 medium Onion, finely chopped
- 3 cups Frozen Peas
- 2 pounds Potatoes, mashed
- Find Orange Bell Peppers that stand up well. Carefully cut the top of the pepper off and the remove seeds and membrane. Then cut a jack-o-lantern face.
- Mix garlic, basil, salt, pepper, thyme, mustard in a small bowl. Set to the side.
- Peel potatoes. Boil and cook until soft (about 30 minutes). Mash potatoes. You can add butter and milk to make them a smoother consistency, if you choose. Or use Rice Milk and Dairy Free margarine, if needed.
- Cook ground beef as potatoes boil. Fry onions and meat on medium/high until the pink is gone from meat.
- Add spices, worchestershire sauce, tomato paste and 3 cans of water to beef. Stir well and let simmer for 5-10 minutes.
- Add frozen peas and stir well
- Put meat mixture into prepared Pepper Jack-O-Lanterns.
- Top meat with mashed potatoes and pepper top.
- Bake at 375 until peppers look cooked and potatoes a bit brown. They take about 30-40 minutes.