I made this lovely fall soup this week with fall vegetables. If you are still working in your garden, you could use up some of your veggies with this recipe. Or, you can go grab some fall vegetables at a local farmers market.
I picked up a purple sweet potato, thinking that it would make very cool purple soup … much to my surprise this purple sweet potato was white in the inside! It tasted great but was not the color I was expecting.
We had a very busy week, this soup kept nicely in the fridge and we warmed up a bowl when we came home from long days and ate it with a slice or homemade bread or toast. It was definitely a hit with my dairy free and celiac family members.
Hope you give this recipe a try this weekend.
Sweet Potato Soup
- 2 1/2 pounds Purple Sweet Potato peeled and cut into 1 inch chunks
- 1 pounds Carrots peeled and cut into 1 inch chunks
- 1 pound Potato peeled and cut into 1 inch chunks
- 1 small Red Onion finely chopped
- 1 tbsp Curry Powder I used Epicure
- 1/2 tsp Pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp Oil canola or olive
- 10 cups Broth I use homemade (from my freezer) or 10 cups water and 5 tsp Epicure's Nourish Broth
- 2 tbsp honey
- Heat oil and onions in stock pot. Cook on medium high for 10 minutes, stirring often.
- Add curry powder to onions and stir.
- Peel and cut up carrots, sweet potato and potatoes.
- Add vegetables, salt, pepper, and broth to the pot. Turn heat on high, once it comes to a boil turn down heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Use emersion blender to blend soup. Be careful to not burn yourself with any splashes. I have used a blender but cracked the glass and burnt myself. I would suggest an emersion blender for easy and safety.
- Stir in honey after you have blended the soup.
- Serve warm.
- This soup warms up nicely the next day, if you have extras.