I live in the country and this morning I picked my last bowl of Saskatoon berries from my bushes.
Not enough to make a Saskatoon Berry Pie but just the right amount to eat and make a batch of my Gram’s old muffin recipe ~ gluten free style! My celiac son and the rest of the family are enjoying these muffins today. Hope you enjoy the smells and tastes of home, as well! If you do make them, I’d love to hear how they turned out.
Saskatoon Berry Muffins
- 1 3/4 cup My 1:1 GF Flour Blend
- 1/2 tsp Xantham Gum
- 1 tbsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 1/4 cup Melted Butter
- 1 Egg
- 3/4 cup Milk
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 1 cup Saskatoons
- 2 tbsp Raw Sugar
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- In a large bowl measure and mix the dry ingredients. Use a whisk to mix. If you are not using my flour, please refer to the tips page in my e-cookbook or take a muffin or 1:1 flour class for my suggestions on flour blend to use. If you are using a different flour it can really change the consistency of the muffin. Make sure you notice if the other flour has xanthan gum or guar gum. If it does, don't add the xanthan gum in this recipe. Also, remember to measure all ingredients exactly, as that is very important in gluten free baking.
- In a small bowl measure and mix the the melted butter (cooled), egg, vanilla and milk.
- Stir your topping ingredients together in a small bowl and then sprinkle evenly on top of your prepared muffins.
- Bake in a 400 degree F oven for 20 minutes. Let the muffins cool in the pan for 10 minutes before you remove them to a cooling rack to cool completely. These muffins can be eaten warm and are not gummy.
- I have tried this recipe for raspberry, peach, and apples … and it tastes great as well! Have fun experimenting with your favourite fruit.Enjoy!
If you want to make mini muffins, these silicone pans I use with the small scoop. The muffins are easy to pop out of the pan without greasing or using paper liners. If you would like more muffin recipes, here is my families favourite muffins with a page of tips on how to be successful making excellent gluten free muffins. Enjoy! Check out other recipes that I have shared, favourite tools, books and video demos at Gluten Free KOB. https://glutenfreekob.com/