Our saskatoons are ripe and ready to be used. If you are in the same situation and want to make a fresh gluten free pie. Try my families favourite recipe.
Saskatoon Berry Pie
- 1235 grams Fresh Saskatoons
- 3/4 cups Water
- 1/4 cup Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla
- 2 1/2 tablespoons Tapioca
- In a pan, place all of the ingredients. Bring the contents to a boil and then turn down to a low simmer. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- If you are making my pie dough or your own, roll it out, place in a pie plate (or tart shells) and pinch the top edges. Set to the side. Or grab a frozen gluten free pie crust and set out to defrost on the counter. (look below in the notes for a link to my pie dough)
- Place hot pie filling into prepared pie crust. Use cookie cutters to cut out extra pie dough and decorate the top of your pie crust.
- On top of the pie’s pastry, use a pastry brush to put a thin layer of milk (or rice milk). Sprinkle raw course sugar ontop of the thin layer of milk. This is optional but it makes it shimmer and brown nicely.
- Bake for 15 minutes in 425 degree F oven and then reduce heat to 375 degrees F. Cook for an additional 25 minutes.
- You can tell it is done when the pie filling is bubbling and pie crust is slightly browned. Cool on a rack before serving.