These popsicles are easy to make, refreshing on a hot day, are gluten free (with a dairy free option) AND HEALTHY! I love that they have real fruit and chia in them … I don’t feel guilty giving them to my family.
The cocoa makes it a bit bitter. For me, I personally like the recipe without the maple syrup and raw sugar. Yet, my teens do not like it without a bit of sugar. I would suggest making the recipe as is and then decrease on your next batch.
My husband is a diabetic and dairy free. Therefore, I usually make two batches for my freezer … one that is milk based and one dairy free. The dairy free option is also sugar free, as it is a better option for him and I like it as well! I find the rice milk and coconut cream is a nice substitute, but feel free to experiment with your own dairy free favourites!
Hope you give this easy recipe a try.
- 225 grams Bananas, cut into chunks
- 150 grams Strawberries, cut in half and stem removed
- 1 tbsp Chia, whole
- 3 tbsp Cocoa
- 1 tbsp Maple Syrup
- 1/3 cup Skim Milk (or Rice Milk if DF) or non flavoured milk substitue of your choice
- 2 tbsp Cream (or Coconut Cream if DF)
- 1 tbsp Raw Sugar
- Put the strawberries and bananas into a hand held small food processor. Pulse for a minute or more until it is smooth.
- Add the remainder of the ingredients. Pulse until it is well mixed.
- If your food processor is not easy to pour from, put the liquid into a ziploc bag and then cut a little corner out and it easily pours into the opening of your molds.
- Put empty popsicle molds on to baking sheet (so that you can carry the filled molds to the freezer … without them spilling!).
- Pour liquid into popsicle molds. I used rocket ships, though any shape will do.
- Put the tops on the molds and then place into the freezer to become solid. It should take a couple hours.
- When someone wants to eat a popsicle, run warm water over the outside of the mold to get the popsicle out.
Check out my homemaking gluten free video demo’s. You can watch whenever it works for you and they remain on your dashboard.