My Dad and Husband both love this apple crumble, warm from the oven, with a bit of ice cream (dairy free for my hubby). Sometimes I add chopped pecans and/or craisins into the crumble. It adds a bit of crunch and nice flavour. My mom made apple or berry crumbles when I was a kid on a regular basis, so this tastes like home.
- 8-10 Apples
- 1/2 cup Brown Rice Flour
- 1/2 cup Gluten Free Oat Flour
- 1 cup Gluten Free Oats
- 1/2 cup Pecans coursely chopped
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon Nutmeg
- 1/2 cup Brown Sugar
- 1/2 cup Butter or Substitue for Dairy Free if preferred
- Place peeled, cored and sliced apples into a pie plate. Fill sliced apples to the top of the plate. Depending on the size of your pie plate and the apples, you wil need approxiamtely 8 to 10 apples.
- Measure all the dry ingredients into a bowl and stir well.
- Take cold butter from the fridge and cut it into small pieces on top of the dry ingredients.
- With your hands rub the butter into the dry ingredients with a rubbing motion until the larger cubes of butter have disappeared and the flour mixture is now crumbly.
- Take the crumbled mixture and sprinkle it on top of the apples.
- Bake in a 350 F degree oven for 45 minutes.
- You will know the crumble is done when the apples are soft and the top of the crumble is golden.
- Serve warm. Enjoy!
Save your hands! If peeling and coring apples hurts your hands, like me … try out this handy contraption that makes it easy on your hands and quicker. Enjoy!