My celiac son and I missed ice cream sandwiches, until I realized how easy they are to make! What’s nice about this recipe is that the cookie is gluten & dairy free and then you can pick the ice cream that is best for your family. I usually use a few different flavours and dairy free options … and then everyone is included in this summer favourite.
I have experiment with a few different ways to make the ice cream sandwiches. The molds are the easiest. My second choice is the circles on the parchment paper. You can read the three options below. Pick which one suits your fancy!
My little nephew, who is also a celiac, said, ‘Aunty, if I could write on your website I would tell everyone these are sooooo good!’ 🙂 xo Hope you give them a try, and that your gluten and/or dairy free family and friends enjoy this treat.
Ice Cream Sandwich
- 1/2 cup Margarine I use the solid block Parkay
- 2/3 cup Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 4 Egg Yolks
- 85 grams Cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1 teaspoon Xanthan Gum
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla
- 170 grams My 1:1 Flour see notes about xanthan gum in notes
- 1 cup Hot Water
- In a bowl mix my 1:1 flour blend, cocoa, and xanthan gum. Set to the side.
- Add the butter, sugar, salt, baking powder and vanilla to your electric mixing bowl. Beat well.
- Slowly add an egg yolk to butter mixture, one at a time.
- Slowly add the dry mixture. Combine well. The dough will be very thick.
- Carefully add hot water, stir very slowly until mixed in, be careful not to burn yourself. Then beat for 5 minutes. Batter will be very smooth.
- To make the cookie you have a few options. You can use the mold, see below on where to get. It comes with a tool to spread the dough into the mold. I baked at 375 F degrees for 10 minutes.
- 2nd option is to spread the dough on a parchment lined cookie sheet and cut out with circle cutter once baked. I baked at 375 F degrees for 15 minutes.
- 3rd option is to draw circles on a parchment piece of paper and put a scoop of dough onto each circle and spread dough out to fill the circle. I baked at 375 F degrees for 8 to 10 minutes.
- For the ice cream part of the sandwich, you can use dairy free or regular ice cream. If you have the ice cream sandwich mold, you fill the ice cream portion of the mold with the tool and then put it into the freezer and let it set. OR you can read below in the notes on how you can make circle ice cream discs. The discs requrie a deep circle cutter (see below).
- Once you have made your cookie and ice cream discs, put a cookie on each side of a disc and set on a parchment lined baking sheet and freeze your 'sandwiches'. If you are using the mold, then freeze once assembled. Leave the sandwiches in teh freezer for about 1-2 hours to make sure firm.
- If using a mold, once they are set you can peel off the outside of the mold and gently push out the ice cream sandwiches.
- I lay a piece of saran wrap on my counter and then wax paper ontop of that.
- Then wrap each ice cream sandwich individually in wax paper and use the saran wrap to make it tight. I then place in a ziploc bag or container. Work quickly so they don't melt!
- Label flavors and which ones are dairy free. Then freeze.
- Take out one at a time, when you want to enjoy. We take these when we go camping. I throw a few in our trailer freezer, it's a nice treat if the campground shop doesn't have anything gluten or dairy free!
- You can soften ice cream and spread it into a cake pan. Then freeze the ice cream. Take it out and use the deep circle cutters to cut out the ice cream. Then place the circles onto a parchment lined baking sheet and put back into the freezer. I filled a cake pan with ice cream and then used my deep circle cutter to cut out the ice cream. I have also softened ice cream and scooped it into the circle cutter and easily made a sheet of ice cream circles. Then put these circles into the freezer to ‘set’.
- Soften ice cream. Place deep circle cutter on a parchment lined baking sheet. Scoop ice cream into circle cutter. Use a spoon to flatten the ice cream smooth, then slip off the cutter. Repeat as man times as necessary. This way is faster and easier, in my opinion. You can also use different flavours and types of ice cream (like dairy free).
This post has amazon affiliate links, I earn from qualifying purchases