My Gramma and Mom made this dessert regularly throughout my growing up years. Definitely a taste of home. It is very easy and tastes great. When our son was first diagnosed celiac, the first dessert Gram made for him when he came to visit … was this one!
My hubby is a diabetic, I could make this dessert with diet JELLO. Yet, he is also dairy free. It gets a bit complicated make it dairy and sugar free, therefore, the kids and I eat this dessert and just give him fruit. He’s happy and so are we … more for us to eat!
A few years back, I started making this dessert when we go camping. I use mason jars and layer the dessert in the jar. Each person gets their own ‘dessert jar’ for the camping trip. The kids love being able to eat a spoonful and then put on their special lid and eat more later. It’s become a little tradition that is very easy and fun! If you have mason jars, they work well. I think these lids are great, as they come in two sizes and fit whatever size of jar you pick. Each person has their own color and it’s easy to keep everyone’s dessert straight!
Whether you make it for camping, company or just a normal day. I hope you enjoy it on a hot summer day.
- 1 1/2 cups Gluten Free Graham Crumbs
- 1/3 cup Butter, melted
- 1 package Strawberry Jello
- 1 cup Boiling Water
- 2 cups Ice Cubes
- 1 1/2 cups Whipping Cream
- 1 tablespoon Sugar
- Pour Jello powder into a bowl. Add Boiling water and stir until powder is completely dissolved. Then add the ice cubes and stir for 3 mintues. Remove any cubes and set jello into the fridge. It will set fast, you want it to be thickening but not set.
- Add the melted margarine to the gluten free graham crumbs. Stir until well combined. The crumbs should stick togther if you pushed together in your hand. Set a couple of tablespoons of this crumb mixutre to the side. The remainder spread evenly on the bottom of a glass 9×13 pan. WIth your hand push the crumbs into the bottom of the pan.
- Whip the cream in your mixer, until it is thick like whipped cream. Put most of the whipped cream into the JELLO bowl. Leave 1/2 cup of whipped cream in mixing bowl.
- Stir the whipped cream into the JELLO, be gentle and mix sparingly. Pour this JELLO/Cream mixture evenly over the crumbs in the 9×13 pan. Sprinkle the crumbs, that you had set to the side, evenly over the top. Place plastic wrap over pan and place in the fridge to set.
- Add the 1 tablespoon of sugar to the whipped cream that you left in the mixing bowl. Beat for a few seconds and then put into a container, cover and put into the fridge. Use this whipped cream to top the dessert, just before you serve it.
- Cut the JELLO dessert into rectangles and serve with whipped cream. You can sprinkle fruit on top of dessert, if you wish.
My Mom and Gram put fresh berries inside the jello mixture sometimes … if you want to give that a try.