Our family does not have fish and chips very often, as ‘real’ fish and chips is hard to find gluten free. Over the Christmas holidays we had great fish and chips from Chartier. It is a local French restaurant in Beaumont, Alberta. The fish tasted just like what I imagine from my childhood ‘eating gluten’ days! It is crispy and tastes great. Chartier has a separate fryer and they are very knowledgeable about cooking for celiacs. So, if you are in the neighbourhood … give them a try! Call ahead, as fish and chips is only on special nights and with covid they have changed how they operate their business.
TONIGHT we are not going to Chartier … we are eating at home and I am doing fish and chips in the oven. Probably a bit healthier than deep fried! Check out my oven baked fish recipe …
Here is my Oven Baked Fish recipe …
Oven Baked Fish
- 6 Tilapia Fillets
- 1.5 cups Gluten Free Cornflakes, ground
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Pepper
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Thyme, dried
- 1 tsp Basil, dried
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 2 Eggs, beaten with a fork
- 1 cup Rice Flour
- If you are making fish sticks, cut the fillets into 4 long pieces. Or just leave fillets whole.
- Place the rice flour in a pie plate.
- Place the beaten eggs in a pie plate or cake pan.
- Grind cornflakes and place in a pie plate. Add all other dry ingredients and stir well. I use a hand held food processor to grind the cornflakes.
- Dip your fish pieces into the rice flour. I do all the pieces at one time, as it is less messy.
- Then dip all of your floured pieces into the egg mixture.
- Take your egg dipped fish pieces and 'roll' in the cornflake mixuture. Make sure to get all sides of fish covered. Place on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Bake at 400 degrees F for 15 minutes.
- Serve hot. It goes nicely with my oven baked sweet potatoe fries recipe.
Check out my Oven Baked Sweet Potato Chip recipe below.
Oven Baked Sweet Potatoes
- 4 small Sweet Potatoes, sliced in rounds 1/8 " thick
- 2 small Potatoes, sliced in rounds 1/8" thick
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1/8 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Pepper
- I simply take some sweet potatoes (they are great for your gut and your health!) and I cut them up in thin slices, about 1/8" thick. You can use a knife but I use a wavy vegetable cutter. I also grab some potatoes and cut them up.
- Then I coat the two kinds of potatoes lightly with olive oil and toss. I do this in a bag, as it is less messy. Then set it to the side as you prep the rest of your supper.
- Spread the sweet potatoes and potatoes onto a baking sheet. If you do NOT line it with parchment then it will leave lines from your wavy cutter. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Bake at 400 degrees F for 45 minutes to an hour. I turn every 15 to 20 minutes.
- You can use these as a side to many different meals. We do! One that it goes nicely with is the Oven Baked Fish Fillets or Fish Sticks.
Hope you enjoy some healthy oven baked fish and hand cut sweet potato fries!